skip navigation

SmartBank Match Recap: Red Wolves’ Superb Second Half Performance Secures Win Over North Carolina FC at CHI Memorial Stadium

By Jacob Ritchie, 09/20/21, 11:15AM EDT


Match Recap: Chattanooga Red Wolves 3-1 North Carolina FC

CHATTANOOGA, TN. (September 18th, 2021) - The Red Wolves welcomed North Carolina FC to CHI Memorial Stadium, the den, Saturday night looking to get back to winning ways. In a shift to the starting XI, the Red Wolves changed it up by bringing in Ronaldo Pineda to play at right back with Jonathan Ricketts shifted out to the left. The first half started out with both sides growing into the game well, but neither side managed to break down resolute backlines. The half trudged on under the floodlights, and while the Red Wolves managed to pile on pressure on the visiting side, Nick Holliday stood tall in the NCFC goal.

The second half started, and no one prepared for what came next! The action started in the 53rd minute when Obleda’s men found a well-deserved breakthrough following an electric start to the first half. Jonathan Ricketts got on the end of a beautiful ball from Marky Hernandez, and the pass was only bested by the shot that was put into the top right corner to open up the scoring for the night.

The Red Wolves didn’t relent after the goal and were immediately rewarded with a second goal. Ricky Ruiz found Juan Galindrez in the box, who showed brilliant footwork and an even better strike hammering home the effort for 2-0. Minutes later the Red Wolves would come inches away from a third, but the ball to Ruiz was cleared off the line by NCFC.

In the 69th minute North Carolina FC would get one back, as Luis Arriaga slotted home to make it 2-1. Then, only a minute later, Marky Hernandez would get on the end of a moonbeam pass across the field and made no mistake in making it 3-1. The Red Wolves would continue to apply pressure, and Marky Hernandez would almost be rewarded for his efforts chipping an off-his-line Nick Holliday, but it went just wide of the post.

After some frantic action in the rain at CHI Memorial Stadium, the match would finish 3-1 putting the Red Wolves back in sole possession of first place in USL League One. A slick performance from the Red Wolves in the second half, especially in the attacking third, was propelled by a fantastic supporter base. Rain or shine, the Red Wolves thank supporters for carrying the team to the finish line.

The Red Wolves return home next Saturday, September 25, at 7 PM EST to face the New England Revolution II.